About Us

The Bath Canada Day Committee

The Bath Canada Day Committee is a sub committee of Loyalist Township. All members are volunteers with a staff link to the Recreation Services Department.

Volunteers help the Committee with a variety of tasks for example:

  • Doing an inventory of the flags and making arrangements to get them up on Main Street
  • Working with a group to organize a community fundraising event
  • Organizing the Canada Day Button Program
  • Coordinating/volunteering for a shift at  the Welcome Booth on Canada Day
  • Marshaling the parade
  • Setting up the market for the vendors
  • Publicity
  • Putting out signs
  • Setting out traffic cones.

Public meetings and social media are used to gather feedback and suggestions for the next celebrations.  Previous participants are contacted and new possibilities explored.

If you think you might be interested on serving on the Planning Committee or helping with a specific task, please contact Diane Nolting 613 352-5670 or bathcanadaday@live.ca.


Bath residents have had lots of practice at organizing celebrations

Long time residents of Bath remember wonderful civic celebrations including the Bath Centennial (September 23-26, 1959) and the Province of Ontario Bicentennial celebrations in 1984. That year was also the 125th anniversary of the incorporation of Bath formerly known as Ernesttown

Bi-Centennial Button

The current format of Canada Day began in 1982. According to June Carruthers, who was the Clerk of Bath at that time, the federal government changed the name from Dominion Day to Canada Day. Materials were sent to municipalities encouraging them to organize events during the last week of June and culminating in Canada Day celebrations. Mrs Carruthers took this  information to the cash strapped Council of the day who endorsed the idea but could not fund it.  She contacted some people who she thought would be keen to work on the project and the rest is history!

The format of a citizen driven, community funded event lives on. Other familiar features include

  • Volunteer organizers and helpers
  • Bath Canada Day buttons
  • Fireworks at dusk
  • Wide range of involvement by service groups, artisans, firefighters, historical society,  public school, area businesses and the township government.



Layer Cake Hall

Welcome to the Historic Village of Bath, Ontario

Built in 1859 by Abraham Harris, a local carpenter, Layer Cake Hall is one of many historically significant buildings in Bath. It now functions as the Bath Library. This watercolour was rendered by Lonnie Thomas, a local artist



A Brief History

The Village of Bath was established in 1784 by United Empire Loyalists who fled from the United States after the American Revolution. Being on the route between Kingston, York and Niagara, Bath quickly developed a tavern and merchants to provide for travellers’ needs.

During the War of 1812, an American fleet stopped long enough to burn a schooner belonging to a local merchant.

For many years the Village prospered as a shipping point for grain bound for the United States and as a centre for local farmers. The first steamship to sail on the Great Lakes, the Frontenac was built in Bath. Changes in transportation, notably the building of the railroad which by passed Bath created a slow decline and major fires in 1902 and 1942 destroyed some of the older buildings. However the Village still boasts a number of historically significant structures, including two that predate 1800, the Fairfield-Gutzeit House and the Hawley House located on Main Street. In 1811 the Bath Academy was built with local initiative and money. It operated briefly as a public school before being requisitioned as a military barracks during the War of 1812. It later reopened and by offering an extensive curriculum, gained an excellent reputation for scholarship.


The Burning of the Two Brothers

Welcome to the Discovery Centre
The cannons roar!