The Bath Canada Day Committee
The Bath Canada Day Committee is a sub committee of Loyalist Township. All members are volunteers with a link to the Recreation Services Department through the Community Development Coordinator.
Your 2021 Planning Committee is:
Diane Nolting – Chair
Sue Nilsson – Secretary
Michelle Podhy- Treasurer
Laurie Minorgan – Fundraising Coordinator
John Warren – Coordinator, Vendors’ Market
Iain Maciver – Entertainment and Kids Activities Coordinator
Nancy Moore – Logistical
Hilary Fennell – Community Development Coordinator, Loyalist Township
We have a great team and we have a lot of fun. Extra hands are always welcome. If you would like to help out either on Canada Day or before, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Diane at 613-352-5670
Bath residents have had lots of practice at organizing celebrations
Bi-Centennial Button 1984
Long time residents of Bath remember wonderful civic celebrations including the Bath Centennial (September 23-26, 1959) and the Province of Ontario Bicentennial celebrations in 1984. That year was also the 125th anniversary of the incorporation of Bath formerly known as Ernesttown.
The current format of Canada Day began in 1982. According to June Carruthers, who was the Clerk of Bath at that time, the federal government changed the name from Dominion Day to Canada Day. Materials were sent to municipalities encouraging them to organize events during the last week of June and culminating in Canada Day celebrations. Mrs Carruthers took this information to the cash strapped Council of the day who endorsed the idea but could not fund it. She contacted some people who she thought would be keen to work on the project and the rest is history!
The format of a citizen driven, community funded event lives on. Other familiar features include
- Volunteer organizers and helpers
- Bath Canada Day buttons
- Fireworks at dusk
- Wide range of involvement by service groups, artisans, firefighters, historical society, public school, area businesses and the township government.
Welcome to the Historic Village of Bath, Ontario
A Brief History
Changes in transportation, notably the building of the railroad which by-passed Bath created a slow decline and major fires in 1902 and 1942 destroyed some of the older buildings. However the Village still boasts a number of historically significant structures, including two that predate 1800, the Fairfield-Gutzeit House and the Hawley House located on Main Street. In 1811 the Bath Academy was built with local initiative and money. It operated briefly as a public school before being requisitioned as a military barracks during the War of 1812. It later reopened and by offering an extensive curriculum, gained an excellent reputation for scholarship. Today it is a privately owned home.
Layer Cake Hall
Built in 1859 by Abraham Harris, a local carpenter, Layer Cake Hall is one of many historically significant buildings in Bath. It now functions as the Bath Library. This watercolour was rendered by Lonnie Thomas, a local artist
The Bath Artisans created this mural for the War of 1812 commemorations in 2102. It depicts the burning of the Two Brothers, a ship owned by two local merchants,the Fairfield brothers as well as the flight of the Royal George.
Photos from the 2012 celebrations